Friday 31 October 2008

Drinking during pregnancy

Hi everyone,

A report this morning announces that drinking in small amounts might actually be good for your baby during pregnancy.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Before you can say 'tequila slammer', pregnant women may misunderstand the result, and think it's ok to have a couple more units than they would have done. It is potentially misleading, and could invite excessive alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Let's face it, how good can alcohol be for a foetus? And if an 'amount' of alcohol is good for the baby, it's not going to be more than an eye bath full I bet. And what's the point in having a sip of wine for its 'health' benefits? Why not just do something else that's good for the baby's development, like eating a healthy diet rich in vitamins and iron?

Opinions please???

I need to speak to some pregnant Preston women on this matter...

6 comments:

VictoriaKayeWisdom said...

Perhaps I am naive but I think the press should reserve comment on this issue. The report may encourage pregnant women to drink during an incredibly vulnerable nine months. Having even a 'small amount' of alcohol could loosen an expectant mother's inhibitions.
A more general thought is: who wants to stop drinking after a sniff of alcohol? What is the point of one drink?
Drinking in moderation is not an attractive prospect for pregnant women - they should just abstain. Newspapers should have a moral conscience and promote this message for our future generations.

jenny_foulds said...

These reports always come out with these so-called facts. One minute you read in the paper that chocolate is bad for you, and then the next it's "oh it can cure this..."

It is a dangerous thing when like you say, pregnant women may misunderstand this. Some things, I think, are best left unreported...

Pocket Venus said...

More worryingly, pregnant women should just think hmm, baby inside. Alcohol will hurt them. So I won't have any.

I don't get why this is so hard for many women to grasp.

If and when I ever have children there's no way I would touch a drop once I knew I was pregnant. It's just not worth it.

Even if a few glasses are 'ok' I just think it should be like the drink driving rule: an unequivocal NO.

What do people think about smoking during pregnancy? My friend smoked heavily and consulted her doctor about giving up once she was pregnant.

Believe it or not the doctor told her to that to stop would be worse for the baby because of the stress it would put on her blood pressure.

Can you believe that? Surely it's not right...but I suppose they know more than we do?

Vexed said...

People who have such strong opinions about this have quite often never been pregnant!

Lisa Storey said...

There was an article in the Daily Mail reporting something similar. Medical experts are always coming out with new findings and it is difficult to know what to trust. I can't personally see how alcohol can be good for the unborn baby, even in small quantities. Plus some  pregnant women might see this as a licence to drink any amount rather than a small amonut that was suggested. I know if and when I become pregnant I won't be touching a drop, no matter what new research has suggested!

Pocket Venus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.