Monday 3 November 2008

Girl dies after internal bleeding went undetected in hospital

Check this out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1082265/I-need-water-Im-dying---Tragic-patients-agonised-help-doctors-ignored-her.html

Kathleen Doherty went into Royal Preston hospital to have her gall bladder removed in what should have been a simple routine operation.

But after the operation doctors said they were too busy too assess her, despite her calling out for water and screaming "I'm dying." She suffered a massive postoperative bleed but the newly qualified physician didn't think she needed a review.

Her parents plan to sue for negligence after Preston Coroner's Court heard how a series of blunders caused her death.

What do you think should happen to those who dismissed her calls for help even though she was thrashing around on her bed, clearly in pain?

3 comments:

Ali wag said...

This has massively put the shit up me. I'm having this op done in 4 weeks. When i was in hospital i got 3 different opinions on what i can eat for the next 4 weeks, no-one seems to communicate.
The ward I was on was for pre/post surgery ward. I was the youngest person on the ward by abut 40 years and many of the patients needed alot of attention. Everyone has a buzzer which makes a hellish siren sound that the nurses seem oblivious to and the calls were largely ignored. At one point in the middle of the night i buzzed as i felt really bad and was tripping out. Four nurses were a maybe 12 feet away and i could hear them discussing their weekend. I had to get out of bed, trailing my drip, and ask for help. Fortunately for me i could walk, but most of the other patients on the ward wouldn't have had the strength to get out of bed on their own. it doesn't surprise me that kathleen was left suffering.

Pocket Venus said...

My advice to you would be to go in for your surgery wearing your skeleton outift. That will, in turn, put the shit up them and make sure they bloody concentrate when they're doing their stuff.

On a serious note, do the broken record thing. Speak to as many doctors/nurses as you can and tell them how worried you are before your surgery.

My general rule of thumb is that if you're making someone's life a misery, it's no bad thing. At least they're noticing you. So who cares if you're a pain in the arse. Treat it like work experience and JUST PESTER.

They can't let you die then because they'll be afraid you'll come back and haunt them.

This is NOT something they can ignore and as a pesky journalist it is your duty to get their assurances until you feel comfortable with what you are undergoing.

I don't want to see you or your skeleton outfit on Granada reports.

Callum D'Souza said...

This is an absolutely shocking case, of doctors not caring for the patients needs. Do you think that the problem was caused by lack of staff or by a lack of attentiveness by Doctors and nurses. Also do you think that this report could have an influence on the way in which the jury would think in the court case which will surely follow incident.

I not sure about you but I feel that the hospital is guility of negligence after reading that report. But if I was selected to be a member of the jury is it right that I should have that opinion in my mind before I have heard all of the evidence.